Images & recipes © Christine Mercer-Vernon unless noted otherwise. Please play nice when sharing and give proper credit and link backs.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Warm Spiced Chunky Applesauce


For the past few years one of my biggest goals has been to simplify our food pantry, make as much as possible from scratch, feed us healthier foods, and save us money on grocery bills, all without losing my mind or it becoming my only career.

Simplifying has really become the key.  We're all so spoiled with the choices and brainwashed by advertisements selling how certain brands bring us together as a family.

Seriously, when I got teary-eyed during a mayonnaise commercial the hype hit home and I knew it was time to really evaluate everything I included in my pantry.

Based on the results of my survey, so far it seems a lot of people are looking to go homemade and learn more about my simplified pantry. I'm working on some posts to break it all down.

I will say that the one thing I try to do, is be as creative as possible with what I keep on hand.

I strongly feel that success in the kitchen is not measured by how many fancy recipes you can create but how well you utilize what you have. Less is more.

Last night we had what I like to call Leftover Pizza.  Basically, I had some leftover ham, not enough for another meal, but it was just enough to top some homemade pizza with.  



I wanted to serve it up with some fruit, since it's quite cold out, I thought warm applesauce would just be delightful, so I grabbed a few apples from the 2 bushels worth I have sitting in the garage (of which I need to get made into applesauce and a few other preserves) and got to work.

If you've ever gobbled up warm freshly made apple butter, this is a quicker, not as rich, substitute.

Warm Spiced Chunky Applesauce

by Christine Mercer-Vernon
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: stove top appetizer dessert snack gluten-free soy-free vegan apples cinnamon

Ingredients (5-6 Half Cup Servings)
  • 4 cooking apples (golden delicious, fuji, cortland, honeycrisp, any firm variety. avoid softer cooking apples such as rome)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves*
  • 1/8 teaspoon allspice*
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp raw sugar such as mascado (turbinado) or whatever you have, optional
These are optional, if you do not care for or have cloves or allspice, simply substitute cinnamon.
    Instructions


    Peel, core and cute apples into cubes.


    Add to medium sized pan with water.

    Bring to boil then reduce immediately to a simmer. Stir frequently so they don't scorch or stick.


    Once apples are softened, about 10 minutes (depends on your cube size and apple variety), smash them up with a potato masher or fork until you have a nice mix of chunks and 'sauce'.

    Stir in spices and taste carefully (very hot).


    If needed, stir in 1 teaspoon of sugar. It's not always necessary, just depends on the apple variety you choose. If apples are somewhat tart, the sugar will help bring out the spices.

    Let cool about 10-15 minutes.

    Serve warm. Inhale deeply.
    Powered by Recipage



    This post is linked to Simple Lives Thursday, where you can find a lot of great ideas from around the blogosphere for living simply.

    Click here to go Go check them out!

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...