Images & recipes © Christine Mercer-Vernon unless noted otherwise. Please play nice when sharing and give proper credit and link backs.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Leftovers: Uses for Chuck Roast

I'm so confused by this weather.


One day it's in the teens/twenties and could totally snow… but it doesn't.

The next day, the temps go up and we have rain. Boo.



The Jelly Bean and I would love to see snow. The HE would not.

*sigh*

Last night I worked until 2 am launching a new website for a client.  Today I have a raging headache and I'm sooooo tired and buried under work.

Thank goodness for coffee.

My hopes of finishing off our de-cluttering and all out, whole-house cleanout over the weekend did not happen.  I mean it happened, it's just not finished.

The amount of paperwork one accumulates in 16 years is astounding.

And depressing. All those trees. :[

We're getting close, but I'm figuring another 1-2 weekends yet. I just want to be done so I can get back to painting.

Thank goodness for leftovers.

It means, way less cooking, one less thing to do.

I made a huge 3.5 pound chuck roast the other day in the oven. Which left our tiny family with a ton of leftovers, which I turned into several rounds of Hot Roast Beef sandwiches and some bone-warming beef vegetable soup.

hot roast beef sandwich on homemade gluten free bun.

Hot Roast Beef sandwiches are favorites around here, and they are a super easy way to use up leftover roast beef:

Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches

by Christine Mercer-Vernon
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: leftovers homemade entree sandwich gluten-free soy-free chuck roast roast gravy broth

Ingredients
  • leftover shredded chuck roast or other roasted beef
  • provolone, cheddar, or other cheese of choice
  • leftover gravy or stock or juices from cooked chuck roast
  • Rolls, Buns or bread
Instructions
You will need a gravy. If you have leftover from the night your served your roast, simply reheat it. If you reserved the cooking liquid from your roast, go ahead and make your gravy (or you can use any beef stock/broth).


For Gluten Free gravy: Use 1 tablespoon Cornstarch for each 1 cup of liquid. Mix the cornstarch with the cold broth then heat on the stovetop over medium high heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove immediately from heat.

For Regular Gravy: Either use the cornstarch method above or 2 tablespoons of flour. Melt a little butter in a heated pan over medium heat. Whisk in your flour and cook for a minute or two, slowly stir in your stock, whisking to combine well and heat until thickened, stirring constantly.


Once you have your Heated Gravy, add your shredded roast and stir until heated through:

  • I like to aim for a thick, meaty sandwich so I keep my meat to gravy ratio high. Generally about 1 cup of gravy to 1.5 to 2 cups of beef.
  • Heat your buns if desired, top with shredded beef/gravy and top with cheese.
  • Yum.
Powered by Recipage







I also turned a good portion of our leftover roast beef into soup. I like to keep some organic boxed beef broth in my pantry, just in case, it stores about 4-6 months, so if our power goes out, I can easily use it to whip up a simple meal. I keep an eye on expirations, and had some that needed used up.

Despite the fact that I just made beef stock and froze some, I opted to use up a soon expiring one from my pantry instead.



You'll notice corn is missing from this soup.  The pretty yellow does make a difference. Unfortunately, if you haven't noticed, there's a bit of a shortage of corn at the store. Most particularly in the organic and frozen cases.

A bit disturbing, but from what I can find, it's due to bad weather and higher production of corn for ethanol use??? No matter, it makes me mad that I didn't freeze any local corn this year.  Time got away from me and now I regret it.

In addition, this needed to be a FAST meal, so I used some 'convenience' veggies to move things along. This is my base method for beef vegetable soup and I use it often.

Fast Leftover Roast Beef Vegetable Soup

by Christine Mercer-Vernon
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Keywords: stove top entree homemade leftovers soup/stew gluten-free soy-free broth carrots chuck roast green beans

Ingredients (about 4)
  • 1.5-2 cups shredded leftover cooked beef roast
  • 4 cups beef stock/broth
  • 3-4 Tbsp Tomato Paste
  • Heaping cupful of sliced carrots
  • Heaping cupful of cut green beans
  • 1 medium to large russet potato, cubed
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4-1/2 small onion, finely chopped
  • small glob of fat/oil
  • handful of parsley, fresh or dried
  • sea salt and pepper
Any additional add-ins you would like:
  • cooked pasta
  • cooked quinoa
  • cooked rice
  • additional vegetables such as peas, corn, lima beans, etc.
  • fresh spinach for topping
Instructions


Prepare all ingredients first.


Heat a small glob of rendered fat or oil (I used coconut oil) over low heat.


Saute onion until soft and somewhat translucent.

Add garlic and saute for a 2-3 minutes to soften.

i used some frozen leftover tomato paste

Add a small amount of beef stock/broth and stir to combine.


Add tomato paste and stir until completely dissolved.

Add remaining beef stock/broth and stir well.


Add all raw, unfrozen vegetables except small one's such as peas or corn: carrots, potatoes, 
etc.

Increase heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes, do not boil.



When vegetables are tender, add any frozen or small vegetables: green beans (or peas and corn), parsley, and shredded beef.


Stir just to combine and heat through.


Remove and serve immediately with any add-ins you desire to add bulk to the soup:
  • Add a handful of fresh spinach to your bowl, ladle hot soup over.
  • 1/4 cup pasta, quinoa, or rice to each bowl.
  • Have fun, make it your own, use up those leftovers!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...