Images & recipes © Christine Mercer-Vernon unless noted otherwise. Please play nice when sharing and give proper credit and link backs.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Slightly Kicked Up Refrigerator Pickles


If you're lucky and are harvesting any last pickling cucumbers here's my recipe I threw together this summer.

I grew five pickling cucumber vines in my driveway.  No joke.



They produced a ton of cukes all at once then the heat and dry weather really took a toll despite daily watering. [this was of course before our endless wet streak hit]

I ate some, gave some away and then finally had a minute to throw together four pint jars of refrigerator pickles.

I read a lot of recipes but either didn't like the spice combo or there were just too many spices I didn't have, so I decided to simplify the spices with what I had on hand and went with it.

These turned out awesome.

I strongly dislike onions, BUT I value their importance for flavoring some foods, especially pickles.  I also tend to like my foods a with a little kick.

Not too dill-y or too spicy with just the right little kick.
These rock on burgers.

I've already downed two jars… next time I'll make slices instead of spears.

Slightly Kicked Up Refrigerator Pickles
[printer friendly]




  • 4 PINT JARS, do not use wide mouth jars, you'll want the 'lip' to help keep them submerged.
  • About 5-7 Picklebush Cucumbers (or other pickling variety, not sure how many I used in the end, enough to tightly pack 4 pint jars) 
For spears… cut off the ends, especially the blossom end. Make sure there is room for additional ingredients below.
For slices… cut off each end then slice about 1/8-1/4" thick
  • 1/4 of a Small 3-4" Vidalia Onion, roughly chopped and divided between 4 pint jars



To EACH jar add:
  • 1/2 tsp Dill Seed
  • 2 whole medium-sized garlic cloves, peeled (or equivalent… 1 small/1 large, etc.)
  • 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
  • 1/4 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns



Add to a small pan and bring to a boil:

  • 3/4 cup white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 2 tsp sea salt

Pour the brine into each jar leaving a 1/4 inch headspace, make sure cukes are submerged, if they are floating to the top or become loose once you add the brine, add more spears to pack them tighter.

Screw on lids and place them aside on a towel to cool completely before putting into the refrigerator.

Let them cure in the refrigerator for at least a week. I let mine go for 4 weeks. 

-------------------------------
NOTES:
  • You'll most likely hear the pop of a good seal while they are cooling, but remember this doesn't mean these are shelf stable, please be a good canner and put them in the refrigerator.
  • Enjoy.  Share if you want, or eat them all yourself. No one in my house likes pickles but me, which means I get them all to myself. Score!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...