Images & recipes © Christine Mercer-Vernon unless noted otherwise. Please play nice when sharing and give proper credit and link backs.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What To Do With Too Much Watermelon



Several weeks ago when local watermelons started popping up at all my favorite farm stands, the jelly bean and I started on a watermelon-a-week kick.

The jelly bean and I could live on it. My HE, not so much.

After weeks of devouring melon after melon, we're wearing down.

So I've been halving each new watermelon with two purposes:

  • One half gets cubed or sliced for quick grab eating
  • The other gets pureed and strained, keeping the juice. (if you have a dehydrator you can dry the pulp into crackers, sadly i don't have one)


This weekend, part of the reason I made watermelon juice, was because I needed the refrigerator space, and a container of juice takes up much less room than a ten pound half-watermelon.

Coming off a whirlwind of a birthday on Friday, I spent Saturday morning cooking my rear-end off for a picnic. Between baking cookies and making deviled eggs, I managed to turn my kitchen into a disaster zone.


But I cleared off enough space to make even more of a mess and juice a watermelon (I'm not kidding, this makes a sloppy, sloppy mess, but it's worth it).

You can drink it straight up, it's crisp and refreshing. I like to add a little lime juice to it, not enough to really taste it, but it just gives it that little something extra.

If you really want a refreshing beverage, turn it into Watermelon-Lemonade. Oh yum.

The Jelly Bean sucks this down.

So do I.

If you can't eat it… drink it.

Not a bad motto.

WATERMELON JUICE
[printer friendly]


  • Watermelon, you can use as little as a quarter of a melon
  • 1 Lime

Cube the melon, removing the rind and any seeds and puree it in small batches in a food processor. Pulse until all cubes are broken down, about 5-15 seconds.

Pour into a sieve suspended over a large bowl, container or pot.  Here's what I do:


Let drain while you puree the next batch, then stir around until no more liquid drains. Do not press on pulp.

Dump that pulp, then pour in the next batch. Repeat until all watermelon is processed.

If draining slows, rinse your sieve between each batch.

When done, you will have a lovely pink juice.

For every 8 cups of liquid add the juice of 1/2 of a lime.

Keep refrigerated.

It will separate upon sitting, simply shake it back up before serving.

Serve over ice as is or make…


WATERMELON LEMONADE
Serves One


  • 1 to 1-1/2 cups Watermelon juice
  • 1 medium sized Lemon
  • seltzer or water, optional
  • sweetener of choice, optional

Squeeze juice of one lemon into large glass or pint size Ball jar.

Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups watermelon juice to taste. I like 1 cup.

Sweeten to taste if desired, but really, it's pretty darn good the way it is.

Add ice to fill then add a splash or two of cold water or seltzer to take the edge off if it's too strong.

Vodka could be used for this too, you know, if you're on water restrictions.

Sit back and enjoy what's left of summer. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...