Images & recipes © Christine Mercer-Vernon unless noted otherwise. Please play nice when sharing and give proper credit and link backs.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Butterfly tragedy...


We're in total butterfly mania right now!

I've got ANOTHER butterfly project to post about as soon as I get done editing all of the photos, but today, sadly, we had a butterfly tragedy.

This beautiful Tiger Swallowtail flew right in front of my vehicle, and despite my frantic attempt to miss it, it fluttered right back in my path.

Poor thing ended up lodged in my windshield wiper. I drove about a quarter mile before I could find a safe place to pull over.

By that time, it's wings were so badly damaged it could not fly. Then, while dislodging it, I accidentally pulled off one of it's legs….. :[



I tried to release it. It would fly about 2 feet then land right back in the middle of the road.

Crazy me stopped cars to run back out and pick it up.

So... I did what any other person would do… I put it in the car with me, where it sat on my purse…


And looked out the window…


We will try to feed it by putting some fruit out, but it will surely not survive. Poor thing.

I feel terrible.

Tonight we all took turns holding it, the Jelly Bean was in awe.


I think butterflies are one of this planet's most beautiful creatures.
I am sad that I hurt one today.


4 comments:

Julia Lundman said...

You showed compassion to this tiny creature, which must count for something!

cmv... said...

awww, thanks Julia :]

Kris said...

Awe, poor thing. "A" for effort. She would look great in our collection! (hint,hint)

cmv... said...

Thanks Kris, we've been trying all kinds of fruit and sugar water and it won't eat. Which really I'm not sure why I am trying, it can't regrow it's legs or wings. I will add it to my collection of dead insects that I use for painting. It's too beautiful to just discard...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...