Images & recipes © Christine Mercer-Vernon unless noted otherwise. Please play nice when sharing and give proper credit and link backs.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Strawberry Ice Cream In A Bag (dairy & non-dairy versions)


Yesterday I picked 16 lbs of strawberries at Brown's Orchards! Strawberries will be gone for another year by the end of the week. I'm hoping to get down there one more time tomorrow.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning, hulling, trimming, processing, eating, processing, freezing, eating, making jam, eating, and started making syrup and strawberry butter (which I will finish today).

Whew.

I've made strawberry jam many times, but hands down, I achieved complete perfection with it this year! I decided to abandon all the previous recipes I was using and use the one from Liana Krissoff's book Canning for a New Generation. Perfect!
.


I used my new Weck jars for the first time. Perfect seals. So pretty.



And my Tattler reusable lids… I'm 7 for 7 with perfect seals with these.

But that was one little batch of jam. Many more strawberries to go.


I froze a lot. We have a thing for smoothies around here. And fruit dip.

And we made a super fun, quick and easy strawberry ice cream… no machine needed!!!

almond milk strawberry ice cream
Years ago, a bunch of artists, illustrators and writers decided to have a little fun and host a recipe roundup on our blogs. One of my favorite writers, Barrie Summy, posted an awesome recipe for ice cream in a bag. It's been a hit ever since in our house.

You can make this dairy free using almond milk…
but you have to work very hard for it to freeze.

Or, you can use regular whole milk.  We opt for Lactaid Whole Milk because me and the Jelly Bean have too much trouble with regular milk. :[

Strawberry Ice Cream In A Bag
[printer friendly]

almond milk strawberry ice cream


  • 1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk (or Whole Milk)
  • 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 4-6 cups of ice



Puree the strawberries with half of the milk in a blender until smooth.



Add remaining milk, sugar and vanilla if you are using.  Blend until smooth and creamy.

Pour into a quart size plastic freezer bag. Seal tightly.



Add ice and salt to a gallon size freezer bag or large plastic container (may require more ice and salt).  Put bag with milk mixture in and seal very tightly.

Now go outside! Hold on tight to the sealed end so it doesn't burst open and shake, shake, shake like crazy until frozen to an ice cream state.

bag in bag version
bag in container version
Scoop out and enjoy!
---------------------

NOTES:

If you are using Almond Milk:  it takes about 5-7 minutes to really get it frozen to an ice cream state. You need to work hard and shake like crazy! Use extra ice and salt. The more ice/salt mix the colder it will be and faster it will get the job done.

If you use sweetened or vanilla almond milk, you may need to adjust the sugar.

If you are using Whole Milk: it will take only a few minutes of good shaking to make your ice cream.

We used Demerara sugar, just because I love the earthiness of it, but you can use whatever you have on hand, or other alternative sweeteners as you prefer.

It will melt fast, so eat as soon as it is ready.

I also wanted to note that I tried this using a tight sealing container inside a container to avoid the plastic bags, but it just does not work. You can't get the liquid inside the smaller container cold enough to freeze and I shook for a good 8 minutes. :[

This post is linked to Real Food Wednesday, please pop over to check out the other really great real food recipes!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

This is wonderful! I didn't know that the "ice cream in a bag" thing would work for non-dairy ice cream! Thanks so much!! :)

cmv... said...

I haven't tested it with anything other than Almond milk, so it would be an experiment. Although I will stress, that the non-dairy versions require lots of ice and salt and lots and lots and lots of vigorous shaking. Using regular milk it freezes up fast, but the non-dairy milks take a lot more work, but it can be done! The photos in this post are almond milk. :]

Karen Beck said...

I tried this tonight using almond milk. It worked! I'm pleased to have the occasional frozen treat without the high dairy-free, grocery store prices. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...